The Hanleys (left to right: Kate, Maicol, John, Melissa) have lived in the Dominican Republic for almost 6 years. They moved to Jimaní nearly two years ago to run this Chadasha location. John and Melissa both have a huge heart for serving the Lord. All of the children love them; you can hear Melissa’s name called at least 100 times a day. (In reality, it’s probably much more than that.)
The story of how they came to live here is remarkable. It is full of God speaking and provisions following. They certainly heeded the Voice of God in their journey and were blessed because of it. I heard their testimony for the first time when I was here in December, but I received so much more from it hearing it again this summer.
It always blows my mind when God speaks to me through other people. That certainly happened this week when the Hanleys were sharing their story of becoming full-time missionaries in Jimaní. Some of the questions they asked themselves and the preconceived opinions they had before moving to the Dominican Republic are similar to questions and opinions I have had. John also made the point that not all missions are abroad. I know I have been called to missions, but I also know that part of that will be in America. There is one state in particular that keeps coming up over and over again; however, I do not know when the time will come that Tyler and I are sent there. But I do know that time will come.
It was extremely encouraging to see how God has blessed the Hanley family during their time in the Dominican. Joy and provision have followed them wherever they go because they are following the Voice of God. They are an inspiration, and I am blessed to know them.
The Arnolds (Top: Zoe, Stephen, Joshua; Bottom left: Vanderly; Bottom right: Eliana) just moved here on May 8, 2012, and are still getting used to life in the Dominican Republic away from friends and family back home. The children are especially having a difficult time being away from what they knew as home for so many years. Stephen and Vanderly have been such a blessing to me while I’ve been here. They get the heart of the father. They really get it. As a family, they diligently seek after what God wants for them . . . and He answers. I am awestruck by their faithfulness, yet at the same time, it fills me with excitement to know that there is so much more to the Father than what I have already encountered.
The conversations with Vanderly and Stephen stick out in my mind like giant strobe lights flashing in my face. It’s like God is saying, “Don’t you get it?? THIS IS PART OF WHY YOU ARE HERE!!!! You needed to know all of this. You desired this discipleship. You came here completely unaware of the blessings that awaited you. This is how much I love you. I provide what you need even when you least expect it.” Both of them pouring into my life has been . . . amazing!! That’s even too light of a word, but I can’t think of something else to describe it. God really does have perfect timing and always knows exactly what I need. After all, the best conversations happen in the middle of the night.
The Arnolds have definitely followed God’s voice as well. They spent a year and a half of their lives in preparation for moving here. They chose to seek God and listen to Him for everything in their lives as a family. It is astonishing how they really did turn everything over to God. It is a wonderful story of faith and provision. Words truly cannot express how much I have learned from their family. I absolutely love their children and definitely look up to Stephen and Vanderly as godly role models for marriage and parenthood.
Although the Arnold children are still having a difficult time away from home, they know that joy will follow because they are following what God has called them to as a family. Right now, it is hard for them to understand why they are no longer living in America and are so far from friends and family, but I know that God will bring comfort, joy, and peace. All three of the Arnold children have captured my heart. They are beautiful on the inside and out. They are strong. They are children of the King. God is already working through them here. Zoe, Joshua, and Eliana have made my experience here in Jimaní more impactful than if they weren’t here. They really are here for a reason: to change lives, just like they have changed mine.
If
I had to capture both of the families in a quote, it would be this:
I really did come here expecting only to give love to the children and receive love from the children. I didn’t expect to be touched by God in a much deeper way by people I had never met. There’s so much more to experience spiritually in my next 17 days here. What else could God have for me here? I don’t yet know what, but I know that it will be much more than I could ever imagine.
I really do believe that the best is
yet to come.



No comments:
Post a Comment