Have you ever covered yourself in permethrin cream? No??
Well, you are certainly missing out on a lot of fun.
Last
night, I was given the smelly opportunity of both the sulfur soap and
permethrin cream. Even as I went to bed
last night, I could still smell myself.
It wasn’t the best aroma in the world, but it was much better than
getting scabies!!
Warning:
Nerdy medical school knowledge is about to be shared!
For
those of you who do not know, scabies (scientific name: Sarcoptes scabiei hominis) is a mite that burrows into a person’s
skin and causes an itchy rash. It
basically digs tunnels under the skin and is spread by person-to-person
contact. Scabies does not go away unless
it is treated. Typically, permethrin
cream is prescribed. It kills the mites
that are in the skin. Permethrin can
also be used as a preventative measure as well since it usually takes a long
time for people to develop the itch or rash from scabies.
And
so you know what it looks like under a microscope, here’s a lovely picture for
your perusal. (Thank you, Dr. Kunegelis,
for teaching me about this!!)
Can you say ugly???
We
have found out recently that many of the children have scabies. Some are on antibiotics for it (TMP/SMX for
those of you who are interested). All of
us, whether we have scabies or not, have taken a sulfur soap bath and covered
ourselves in permethrin. Yes, all 45
children and all of the adults. All bed
sheets and clothes have been washed. It
has been an adventure.
On
Wednesday morning, Vanderly and I bathed 8 children between the two of us with
the sulfur loveliness. Fortunately for
me, the 4 children that I bathed love water.
I had fun with them. Getting a
couple of them to put clothes on afterwards . . . now that was another
story. Nana and Manda bathed some more
of the children. John took care of the
older boys over the past couple days. He
also found out one of the new boys is afraid of water. It has made for some fun stories. I’m pretty sure all of us have been peed on
now, myself included.
As
of today, all of us except for 2 of the teenage boys have been bathed and creamed.
Now we get to wait for all of the scabies to disappear!! One good thing about scabies treatment is you
only have to do it once. If it’s still
around after 2 weeks, some of the children may be treated again. I’m believing that this treatment will take
care of everything! And those of us who
didn’t have scabies will not get it.
Yeah,
I’m having so many new adventures here.
I really am loving it.
¡Jesús
es nuestro sanidor!
(Jesus
is our healer!)

No comments:
Post a Comment