Here’s the question:
Is
spending time with God a priority, or is it a sacrifice? For many it is subconsciously considered a
sacrifice. I don’t believe that’s how it
should be.
According to
Merriam-Webster dictionary, sacrifice means “destruction or surrender of something for the sake of
something else; something given up or lost.” Priority is defined as “a preferential
rating, especially one that allocates
rights to goods and services usually in limited supply; something given or meriting attention before competing alternatives.” (Note: I only used the definitions of these
words that were pertinent. I did not
include all definitions.) The definitions
are pretty clear, so why is one so commonly mistaken for the other? I think the most common error of the definition
(at least in my life) is mis-defining what should be a priority as a sacrifice
because one’s priorities are “out of whack.”
I am guilty
of viewing spending time with God a sacrifice rather than a priority. This might be the first time I’ve actually admitted
that to myself though. Praying or
reading the Bible sometimes happened only in “emergency” situations, times when
I absolutely needed God to intervene in a situation. If I was too busy with school or something
else on my damaged priority list, God was placed on the back burner. If I sat down and spent some time reading the
Bible or praying, I was losing time doing other things I thought I needed to be
doing. Many days in my life have passed
without talking with God at all. It’s
easy to get caught up in what is going on and make everything else in life a
priority because we take for granted the fact that God loves us and is always
with us, even if we fail to recognize or thank Him for any of it.
At the beginning
of 2013, I made a decision to read the Bible daily. So far, I have been faithful to that commitment
(and plan to continue doing so). It has
become something I look forward to every day.
I have even started multiple devotionals because I find myself wanting
more. I have mentioned in other posts
about the frustration of feeling like I can’t spend the amount of time with God
that I want. That’s proof to me that God
has switched from being a sacrifice to a priority, and He is quickly climbing
the list.
Lent is
traditionally viewed as sacrificing something for 40 days before Easter in
order to spend more time with God. I
think I sacrificed my messed-up priority list.
I gave it over to God so that He could rearrange it into the priority
list it should be . . . with Him sitting at the top. Once I relinquished my grasp on what I thought
I needed to be doing, everything did not immediately get easier. It took some discipline to stay true to the
commitments I made, but learning discipline in the commitments has also
translated to discipline in other areas of my life also. The differences in my wants and needs have
become clearer. The more I allow God to
rearrange my life and my priority list, the easier everything is becoming. I live a life that is much freer than it has
been.
Since
starting this blog series, God has become even more of a priority. The more I continue with this blog and
reading the Word daily, the more I yearn for it daily. I enjoy spending this time with God and watching
His Word really come alive in my life.
It’s amazing what God reveals to me when I choose to sit and
listen. It’s gotten to the point now
that something feels wrong if I don’t spend time with Him. (Well, that’s
because something is wrong when I don’t
spend time with Him. Duh, Dana.)
I know I’ve
said this before, but it really is incredible to see Word more alive and God
more present in my daily life. My
priorities are aligning with how God wants them to be, and He is seated at the
top of the list. Spending time with God
may mean I sacrifice something else during the day, but that’s ok with me. Nothing could ever be more important than
God. He is the One who gave me life and
the One who continuously blessed me and renews my spirit.
Ask yourself
if God is a priority or sacrifice in your life.
You might be surprised (as I was) to find out the answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment