Second, please bear with me as I quote a rather long passage of Scripture. It was too good to pare down . . .
“For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you. It is written: ‘I believed; therefore I have spoken.’ Since we have that same spirit of faith, we also believe and therefore speak, because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself. All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
- 2 Corinthians 4:6-18
This is
another example of experiencing the Living
Word in my life. Numerous times, I have
been pressed down, perplexed, and struck down . . . but God has never allowed
me to be destroyed. And I know without a
doubt that He is the reason I have come through battles victoriously. The power is definitely from God and not from
me. I know I couldn’t do this on my
own. He is the Light that wants to be
revealed in me, a person born into darkness (but saved by His grace). In the midst of knowing that today, I still
struggled with feeling inadequate and sub-par.
I felt like
an emotional yo-yo part of today because my mind wanted to compare myself to
others. I was definitely feeling pressure
that I had something or someone to whom I was supposed to measure up. I felt like I had not measured up to the
standards, that I wasn’t good enough for God to be happy with me. A dear friend reminded me that God is happy
with what I accomplished even if it’s not the most top-notch or award-worthy
achievement. His love does not change if
someone made a higher test score or final average than I did. He doesn’t love me any less if I made a B or
C instead of an A. He doesn’t love me
less if I failed. God’s love is not dependent on anything I could ever do.
That may not
seem very connected to 2 Corinthians 4, but I think it is. When we fix our eyes on what is seen (a poor
test score, not accomplishing everything on a to-do list, etc.), we fail to “see”
the unseen. We miss what God is doing
because we allow ourselves to be blinded by physical things, things that do not
last through eternity. By focusing on
these things, we create our own standards of what is pleasing or acceptable
instead of focusing on God, the One who always
loves us. We become wrapped up in
success for our own well-being instead of for the glory of God. Eventually, we become discouraged and lose
heart; we become depressed; the flame in us withers to a small candle. We not only hinder only ourselves, but we
also hinder the power of God in us when we rely on ourselves and try to do
everything on our own. But by striving
for what is unseen, we keep our focus on God.
We regain our strength and encouragement. The flame is rekindled. We realize we are not alone. We grow closer the One who renews us daily
and surrounds us with new mercies every morning.
By choosing
to change our perspective, our lives can be vastly different (in a good
way). I choose to fix my eyes on the unseen
and focus on God. With my gaze upward, God
is able to reveal Himself in a stronger way.
By setting my eyes on Him, it’s impossible to become discouraged or feel
inadequate; and it is easier to follow where He wants me to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment