Throughout
elementary, middle, and high school, I did not have many friends. My first day of public school (7th
grade), only one student spoke to me.
She and I became close very quickly and remained close until
graduation. We went through a lot of
life by each other’s side. My friendship
with her was my very first taste of what a fruitful friendship is capable of
being. After that, though, we both went
our separate ways for college and rarely saw each other. We haven’t seen or spoken to each other in a
couple years now. I graduated 7 years
ago and only keep in touch regularly with maybe 2 people from high school, one
of which I met my senior year.
College was
a bit of the same, but a little better.
I met the guy who was to become my best friend (and, little did I know
then, my future husband) the weekend before classes began freshman year. He was my rock the entire 4 years of
undergrad. I had a few other close
friends during college also, a handful with whom I still keep in touch (and
dearly miss them as well as Taco Tuesdays!!).
I also found friends at the church I was attending during college. Those 4 years, especially junior and senior
years, were the first time in my life that I had many people around me who I
felt were great friends. God was
answering my prayers.
Medical
school was yet another time to start over for me. In the past 3 years (medical school +
post-baccalaureate year), I have found the most amazing friends. They are absolutely indispensable and a
constant encouragement. Even more
friendships are being cultivated with people from church. I may not have as many friends as some, but
the ones I do have are incredibly amazing and know exactly what I need when I
need it.
God has
tremendously blessed me with a community of friends that would carry me through
pretty much anything. They walk with me
and uplift me, and I am so glad every single one of them is a part of my life.
I’ve come to
the realization that it really isn’t necessary to have hundreds of
friends. Having a few really close ones
whom I know I can depend on at all times and who love me for who I am is pretty
spectacular. I am truly thankful for the
friends that I do have. A large portion
of my drive from Tennessee to North Carolina today was spent thanking God for
blessing me with such incredible people in my life. God does
answer prayers; and when He answers them, it is very likely that you will wind
up with something far greater than you expected. J
No comments:
Post a Comment